What's Up This Weekend | May 9th
We’re in the midst of some very trying and unprecedented times, with events and regular entertainment on hold for the foreseeable future. A lot of people are taking extra precaution and staying in - but we’re all going a little stir crazy. So instead of highlighting events around New Hampshire and Massachusetts, we’re going to give you a few cleaning tips and tricks you wish you had all along!
- Sweep Your Baseboards with Dryer Sheets: It’s 2020, we’re all about innovation! So leave getting on your hands and knees to clean the baseboards in the past. Simply attach a dryer sheet to your swiffer instead of their usual fiber cloths then go to town. The dryer sheet will pick up all that unwanted dust and lint all while adding a sweet smell to your home!
- No Scrub Pan Cleaning: Break out those dryer sheets again, you’ll need them for this next hack. If you have a caked mess on your pans, don’t exhaust yourself by scrubbing. All you have to do is set that pan in your sink with some dish soap, warm water, and a dryer sheet. Then let that soak for a couple of hours, when you return the mess will wash away with minimal scrubbing on your end.
- Natural Tub Cleaner: Sick of harsh chemicals in your bathroom? We are too, but we have the solution for you! Next time you’re at the grocery store pick up some grapefruit and salt, trust me. Slice the grapefruit in half, add salt on top and scrub the tub. The salt adds a coarse texture while the citric acid helps break down stains. It will leave your tub sparkling and a fresh, natural smell in the air!
- Reusing Sponges Doesn’t Have to be Gross: Using the same sponge to clean silverware, counter tops, and your sink? Weirdly enough, the same thing you think is cleaning is actually spreading thousands of germs all around your kitchen! Don’t fret, you don’t have to toss the sponge, all you need to do is clean it! Dampen your sponge and pop it in the microwave for 90 seconds on full power - this will clean up to 99% of its germs! Perfect for another use.
- Un-scratch Your Dinner Plates: A slip of a knife or the grating of a fork make some of the worst noises known to man-kind, but it can also create some damage to your plates. Don’t toss the set, fix them up with this tip! Make a paste of baking soda and water, then buff them into the scratches, this will help reduce the appearance of harsh lines and scratches.
- Freshen Up Your Mattress: Anything involving your mattress sounds daunting right? Well it doesn’t have to be! We all wash our sheets and pillow cases on a semi-regular basis, but have you thought to freshen up your mattress at all? All you need to do is take all the sheets off, vacuum the mattress and then sprinkle a generous layer of baking soda. Let the baking soda soak in for a few hours, then vacuum it back up. This will leave your mattress fresh, eliminating odors and bacteria!
- Beat the Stink: Your sink and garbage disposal can take a beating with all the wet food bits, no wonder they are a petri dish with a nasty odor. Thankfully it’s an easy fix to get your sink smelling fresh! All you need to do is drop some lemon slices down the drain and as the garbage disposal starts to chomp them up, the smell of citrus will start to eliminate the other smells.
- Steam Clean Your Microwave: We are all guilty of letting food build up in our microwave because we know how much of a pain it is to scrub away that stuck on mess. However, the cleaning process doesn’t have to involve a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease. Simply fill a microwave safe cup or bowl with water and a few tablespoons of vinegar, place it in the microwave and let it run for a couple of minutes. The steam from the mixture will quickly soften those caked on messes. All you’ll have to do is go in and wipe away the residue.
- Clean Your Shower Head: Weirdly enough, something that is supposed to keep you clean can actually be one of the dirtiest places in your home. In one 2009 study found that 20% of showerheads tested were contaminated with Mycobacterium avium, which can cause serious respiratory health issues. Don’t worry though, the fix is easy! All you’ll need to do is fill up a sandwich bag with white vinegar, then attach it to your shower head by tying it up with a rubber band and leaving it to soak overnight. The acid in the vinegar will help decrease the bacteria and help clean the surface of the shower head.
- Wash Your Washing Machine: We all think of a washing machine as a self cleaning unit, right? Wrong. Your washing machine can hold a lot of bacteria and funky odors. So to fix that problem, you’ll need to run your washer on the Sanitize setting with a combination of hot water and a quarter cup of bleach. Easy and effective!
Hopefully these tips and tricks will help ease your household chores and bring a little freshness into your home. Being at home for an extended period of time can feel a little overwhelming and boring, but the actions we’re taking today will help bring us a better tomorrow. Here at Verani Realty, we are invested in making your home dreams come true, so if you’re in the market for a new sanctuary, we can help! Visit Verani.com for more information, besides, admiring some homes for sale in NH and MA can be done from inside too!
We hope everyone is staying healthy and safe during this time. We’re here if you need us!
|Previous Post||Next Post|